It’s the last day of SSJ’s 12 Days of Holiday Baking, and I’ve got a Cookie Platter Must-Have for you! Brown Sugar Spritz!
Of course, you could make a quick icing of powdered sugar and milk or lemon jucie for the cookies. Or, you can sub Holiday Sprinkles or Sugars for the rainbow sprinkles you see here. But, I kind of like to keep the rainbow present in my holiday baking by tossing a little Funfetti around!
Here’s the easy recipe!
Brown Sugar Spritz
Yield 3+ Dozen Cookies
- 1 c butter, softened
- 2/3 c brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 scant tsp baking powder
- 2 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- Multi-coloured Sprinkles or Sugars*
- Heat the oven to 350.
- In a bowl, toss the salt, baking powder and flour with a fork.
- Set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer or by hand, blend the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla until incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture by the 1/2 cup until combined.
- Load your spritz gun with the cookie dough and press cookies onto a baking sheet. [I find it easier to use a bare cookie sheets as opposed to silpats or parchment for these cookies, as they tend to want to stay in the spritz gun upon a too-slick surface.]
- *Add sprinkles.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes or until golden.
*Sprinkles or sugars may also be added after baking by applying an egg wash before sprinkling with the toppings. Because of so many folks' issues with raw egg, we bake beforehand. Alternatively, you can prepare a quick glaze of 1 cup icing sugar and lemon juice or cream added by the tablespoonful with which to adhere your sprinkles or sugars. Beware, the colours may bleed.