I went to plan out my next few projects in my sewing journal and realized I’d done a REALLY good job of documenting my 2022 makes. I am no artist, so while I’m not proud of the sketches themselves, I’m happy that I both made and documented my sewing projects over the course of an entire year. So, here are my 2022 makes [and dyeing projects] in sketch-form and in photo collages taken from my ridiculous, sometimes public, sometimes private Instagram:
1. Scrappy Quilted Screen Cover for my brand new Bernina 475qe Sewing Machine
2. Serged Sew House Seven Toaster Sweater #1 in Bamboo Fleece
3. Closet Core Blanca Flight Suit in Rust Linen with Robert Kaufman Floral Lining and Accents, Zip front, snap closures to narrow ankles and roll sleeves.
4. Thrifted Hexagon Quilt Top transformed into an elongated Wiksten Unfolding Jacket with Half Collar, Slant Pockets, and Heart Shaped Patch Pockets Bias Bound in Red Kona Cotton
5. Wiksten Unfolding jacket with slant pockets and half-collar, bagged instead of stitched as directed, in Merchant Mills Quilted Jacquard Moody Blue and Figo Birdwatch lining
6. Closet Core Pietra Pants, Wide Leg View in Ikea Skuggbrächa cotton canvas fabric
7. The Assembly Line Cap Sleeve Vest in Yarn Dyed and Figo Martha lining with Vintage Buttons
8. The Assembly Line Cuff Top in Birch Fabrics Dreamer
9. Papercut Patterns Rise Turtleneck in Maroon Knit
10. TrueBias Lander Pants in Deep Plume Bull Denim
11. Vogue 9253 in Ikea Solmott fabric.
12. Superbison Dune top in Figo Beige Cross Cotton-Linen with Black Trim
13. Superbison Dune Maxi Dress in Figo Terra Cotton Blend
14. Toile of calf-length self-drafted shift dress in striped Ikea Solmott fabric [This garment is designer-inspired. Obviously, my bespoke homage pattern and any of makes are not for sale or resale.]
15. Beige linen self-drafted maxi shift-dress
16. Gold self-drafted over-the-knee shift-dress in Alexia Abegg Candlelight and lined in a white poplin printed in gold with hand-made hamsa stamp for 25th wedding anniversary day wear
17. Black and white self-drafted over-the-knee shift-dress in Merchant & Mills Alaskan Snow Ikat, black poplin lining
18. Black and White Ogden Cami in Merchant & Mills Alaskan Snow Ikat
19. Pattern Fantastique Mersis Dress in Katia Fabrics Metallic Rose Shimmer for 25th Wedding Anniversary Dinner and Cocktails
20. NOT SKETCHED! Set of 8 Cyanotype Printed Cotton Napkins [Store-bought napkins from Home Sense]
21. Navy Linen Wiksten Unfolding Jacket for a friend
22. Self-drafted Cross Back Apron in Rifle Camont and Kona Green Lining for Bea
23. Self-drafted Cross Back Apron a in Ruby Star Society Black Eyed Peas Canvas for friends
24. Self-Drafted Half-Apron in Ruby Star Society Black Eyed Peas Canvas and Remnant Rust Linen for friends
25-27. THREE Wiksten Unfolding Jackets in Black linen for friends, one with metallic-lined Slant pockets, one with the original double collar, and one with secret-message pockets and a slightly altered sleeve.
28. Blue Upholstery Couch and Pillow Covers for Bea’s first apartment
29. Black Linen Wiksten Unfolding jacket
30. Black Linen Narrow Pietra pants. [Ogden Cami in photograph is #18 above]
31. Self-drafted pintuck scarf with frayed edges in Robert Kaufman Spice Linen
32. Simple 20×20 inch Pillow case in Robert Kaufman Spice Linen with frayed selvedges
33. Simple 20×20 inch Pillow case in Figo Birdwatch.
34. Self-drafted wide pintuck scarf with frayed edges and selvedge in a Robert Kaufman teal cotton-linen blend.
35. Peppermint Pocket Skirt with Narrowed Pockets, Bias Cut Detail on Hips, in Robert Kaufman Mammoth Flannel Coastal Fog.
36. Wiksten Shift Top with Bracelet Sleeves and Vented Sides in Robert Kaufman Mammoth Flannel Coastal Fog
37. REINVENTION OF A FAVOURITE! Grainline Studio Cascade Duffle Coat, long view, with hood, in Black Brushed Wool Melton lined in Black Bemberg with Ribbon Details, Hidden Gold Zip, Toggle Buttons Omitted in Favour of Gold Snaps hidden in the front placket which extend down the length of the coat.
38. Wiksten Unfolding jacket for a friend with slant pockets and a secret inside patch pocket featuring a self-drafted quilted depiction of my friend’s house in French Blue Linen and Liberty Lawn.
39. Zippered purse pouch based on a mashup of several online tutorials in Rifle Camont.
40. Set of 16 Cocktail Napkins in Melody Miller Elixir Succulent Decanted Metallic Teal with Serged Pink Handkerchief Edges.
41. Self-drafted 60x90in Chartreuse Linen Tablecloth with Serged Grey Handkerchief Edges
42. Set of 8 Chartreuse Linen Napkins with Serged Grey Handkerchief Edges
43. Set of 8 Shibori Tie-dyed Cotton Napkins [Store-bought white cotton napkins from Home Sense]
44. Set of 2 Shibori Tie-Dyed Cotton Tea-Towels [Store-bought shite cotton tea-towels]
In addition to my own sewing and dyeing projects, I took three courses at Toronto’s The Workroom this year: Flying Geese with Johanna Masko, Learning Curves with Johanna Masko, and Serger Essentials with Karyn Valino. They were all spectacular! And I wouldn’t have been able to complete some of my own projects with such ease if it weren’t for the techniques I learned in the workshops.