A Tale of Two Pies, Part Two:
If you’re going to eat sugar, butter, flour, and cream, you’d better do it right. This is my go-to recipe for the best Pumpkin Pie I know. Let’s get straight to the recipe.
Pumpkin Pie with Sweetened Condensed Milk and an All-Butter Crust
- Enough for two single-crust pies
- 2 1/2 cups Flour + more for rolling
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 14 tbs unsalted butter cubed & cold [1 cup = 16tbsp | so, you'll be using 1 cup - 2 tbs]
- 1/2 cup ice water
- + 2-3 tbs ice water as needed
Pumpkin Pie Filling
- Enough for one single crust pie
- 1 HALF of a large can of pumpkin puree [398 ml of a 796 ml can / 13.25 of a 25.5 oz can]
- 1 [300 ml / 10 oz] can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom
- 1/4 tsp Cloves
- [Optional] a shot of Courvoisier or Whiskey
- Put the flour, salt, and butter into a large mixing bowl.
- With your fingers [preferred] or a pastry blender, press the mixture together until the bits resemble a mix of peas and crumbs.
- Sprinkle the 1/2 cup of ice water over the top of the mixture and stir with a fork.
- Squeeze the dough together to see if it holds.
- By the tablespoon, add ice water, stir, and test again, until a dough is formed.
- Divide the dough into two balls, press those into discs, wrap in plastic and refrigerate.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- The second, extra disc can be reserved for another use or placed, wrapped, in a freezer safe container and frozen.
The Blind Bake
- Heat the oven to 425.
- Roll one disc of dough on a floured surface (between two sheets of parchment paper, if you like).
- Fit into pie plate, and return to refrigerator until the oven is heated.
- Prick the crust with the tines of a fork, careful not to stab it all the way through.
- Place a large piece of parchment in the pie shell.
- Weigh down with pie weights or dried beans.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes and make the filling.
- Leave the oven at 425 upon removing the crust.
Filling + Bake
- In a bowl, whisk all of the filling ingredients until smooth.
- Fill the hot pie crust with the filling and place in the oven.
- Lower the temperature to 350 and bake 45-55 minutes, or until the pie filling is set in the middle and jiggles just slightly. You can also test it by placing a knife in the centre. Though, that might ruin the look.
- Cool the pie on a wire rack.
- Refrigerate for an hour.
- Serve plain or with tons of whipped cream.