Still on “crinkle” mode from yesterday’s Chocolate Chip Crinkle Cookies? Well, you’re in luck. It’s ginger day, here on SSJ. And, in addition to my Ginger Bûche de Noël, I’m posting my killer recipe for this Soft Gingerbread Crackle Cookie with Candied Ginger.
These are great cookies not only for a holiday cookie plate, but also for lunchbox treats or afternoon tea all year long. A ginger lover’s dream!
Here’s the recipe!
Soft Gingerbread Crackle Cookies with Candied Ginger
- 2 c all purpose flour scant
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 c unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/3 c unsulfured molasses
- 2/3 c brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- up to 1 c candied ginger roughly diced
- granulated sugar for rolling the cookies
- OPTIONAL: a dash of fresh-grated ginger
- OPTIONAL: 1 cup chocolate chips for chocolate-dipped tips [not pictured] + 1 tbs oil or cream
- OPTIONAL: nuts sprinkles, or coconut to add to chocolate-dipped tips [not pictured]
- In a bowl, stir together the dry ingredients.
- In a mixer or by hand, blend the butter, molasses, vanilla, and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the fresh ginger if desired.
- Beat in the egg.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Add the diced candied ginger by the eighth-cup until the dough is studded with ginger to your liking.
- The dough will be sticky.
- Turn the dough onto plastic wrap, press into a disc and refrigerate for 1-2 hours
- Heat oven to 325.
- Scoop out dough with cookie-scoop or spoons and form into 1.5 in balls.
- Roll in sugar. [At this point, you can freeze your dough in balls for later use.]
- Place on parchment lined sheets. [If desired, flatten ball with hand. I don’t bother.]
- Bake for 10-12 minutes for a cookie that is crackly on the outside and soft on the inside. Bake longer for a crispier result.
Pro-tip: Chocolate Dipped Tips
- If you really want to go for the gold, you can dip one quarter to one half of these [or any] cookies in chocolate.
- Use a microwave at 75% power or a bowl over a boiling water bath to melt a cup of your favourite chocolate chips or chopped chocolate.
- [Add a teaspoon of vegetable shortening or oil or up to a tbs of cream to prevent siezing if desired/necessary.]
- Dip up to one half of each cookie in chocolate.
- Go super-pro and dip chocolate-dipped cookie in nuts, sprinkles, coconut or other topping if desired.
- Cool on wire racks set above the used parchment from baking, silpats or a washable tray.
Enjoy! And don’t forget to check out SSJ’s 2017 Advent Calendar on December 1st!