On December 17th, our 2017 Advent Calendar must-do will be to Sing Carols, Read Books, and Sip Cocktails by the fire. So, obviously a few good cocktails are in order!
I visited two great distilleries in Ontario this year. On our anniversary trip to Prince Edward County, Blaise and I visited Kinsip. And, on my trip to Stratford with my friend, Nathalie, we had an awesome tour of Junction56. Of course, I came home with lots of supplies (and put plenty more on my Christmas list).
The fun has been the drinking and experimenting with flavour. Here are two “local” cocktails to serve around the holidays, or any time. So sorry about the terrible pictures. The photographer might have gotten a little tipsy…
Hot Buttered Rum for Two and Santa’s Fireshine Martini
Christmas Kinship, or Hot Buttered Rum for Two
- Boil 1 cup water.
- With the pot still over the heat, stir the butter and sugar into the boiling water until melted, well combined, and bubbly.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and cool for a minute.
- Add the rum.
- Add several drops of bitters to taste.
- Serve warm, garnished with a cinnamon stick.
Santa's Fireshine Martini
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add the booze and shake vigorously.
- Strain into a martini glass.