In February, the wonderful Custom Mixologist invited me to be her guest at Grand Marnier’s Grand Celebration at The Civic in Toronto’s Broadview Hotel.
We spent an hour with Grand Marnier’s Global Master Blender Patrick Leger who flew in from Cognac to lead us in an educational tasting of four of the Brand’s Cognacs. We sampled the endlessly mixable Cuvée Louis-Alexandre, the excellent-on-ice Cuvée du Centaire, the coffee and cigar friendly Grande Cuvée Revelation, and the collector’s dream Grande Cuvée Quintesseence.
We then experienced a Masterclass with Grand Marnier’s National Brand Manager, Xavier Herit. Along the bar and at tables for two, we mixed our own Grand Margaritas in anticipation of #nationalmargaritaday on February 22nd. We then sampled two additional Grand cocktails from the bar, a Grand 75 [a twist on the French 75, bien sûr!] and a Grand Old Fashioned. They were all truly elevated versions of three of my favourite cocktails.
A few days after the event, I decided to mix a Grand version of one of my own go-to tipples, the SSJ Sidecar, which you’ll find below.
A Grand SSJ Sidecar
- 1.5 oz Grand Marnier Cuvée Louis-Alexandre
- 1.5 oz Grand Marnier Cordon Rouge
- .75 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 Dehydrated Orange Slice [Optional Garnish]
- Combine the Cognac, Cordon Rouge and Lemon Juice in an ice-filled cocktail shaker.
- Shake vigorously, until the shaker itself is ice-cold and frosted.
- Strain into a clean coupe glass. The cocktail should immediately frost or chill the glass.
- Float a dehydrated orange slice on the surface of the sidecar.
If you’re looking for more inspiration look for Custom Mixologist’s Grand Margarita post on Auburn Lane’s Insta Grid!
#grandcelebration #grandevent #grandmargarita #grandsidecar #grandssjsidecar #grand75 #grandoldfashioned #grandmarnier
Leave a Reply