My 2017 Advent Calendar begins on December 1st, and I’m counting down with 12 Days of my best Holiday Baking ideas.
Here’s a bar the kids love, not only for its Harry Potter reference, but because it tastes so darn good! Like Harry, they’ll say it’s “the most delicious thing they’ve ever tasted” and that it seems to “to heat every bit of them from the inside.”
To your brooms, then, sweeties!
Butter Beer Blondies
- 1 c packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 c butter
- 1 egg whisked slightly
- OPTIONAL: 2 tsp rum or cognac
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 c butterscotch chips*
- 1/2 c toffee bits or crushed Heath/Scor bars**The above butterscotch chips and toffee bits may be substituted with 1 c chocolate chips if you're in a jam
- Optional: Whipped Cream & a dash of yellow food colouring for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Spray an 8×8 in baking pan with baking spray or grease with a butter wrapper. You might also line it with a gently buttered square of parchment.
- In a saucepan, melt butter and sugar over medium heat.
- When the mixture is smooth, set aside and cool for a few minutes. [Transfer to a different bowl if you are in a hurry.]
- Add egg, optional alcohol, and vanilla and stir until just combined.
- Stir flour, chips, and toffee into the batter.
- Spread batter into the pan.
- Bake for 22-26 minutes, or until a butter knife or wooden skewer in the centre comes out fairly clean, barring the melted chips. Note: The Blondies will still be gooey!
- After 15 minutes of cooling, slice the blondies in the pan. Again, the Blondies will still be gooey, but they’ll firm up over time.
- Continue to cool for at least another 20 minutes.
- Serve slightly warm and gooey or cooled completely and firm.
- OPTIONAL: For a “foamy look,” add a dollop of fresh whipped cream mixed with slight a tint of yellow colouring if so desired.