Here’s a revised recipe for Panettone French Toast (whose original first appeared on my retired website, The Lunchbox Season), with an option for Eggnog Panettone French Toast!
[Eggnog] Panettone French Toast
- 1 Panettone [about 1 lb, paper removed; if the panettone is larger, simply slice a 1lb segment or increase ingredients incrementally to suit]
- 6* eggs [*4 if using eggnog]
- 1 c cream or high quality store-bought eggnog
- 1/2 c milk
- 1/4 c sugar [may be omitted if using eggnog]
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon [optional]
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg [optional]
- 1-2 tbs bourbon [optional]
- 2 tbs butter, or some cooking spray [if not using a non-stick pan]
- Set a warming drawer to low or set oven to 170°F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, cream [or eggnog], milk, sugar [may be omitted if using eggnog], vanilla, optional spices, and optional bourbon, until fully blended.
- Slice panettone in half [from top to bottom].
- Cut each half of panettone into 1-in slices. [You can halve these slices if they are too large to fit into your pan.]
- Heat a large nonstick pan to a medium heat and turn down heat-source slightly. [If you are not using a non-stick pan, coat with a bit of butter or oil.]
- Working 3 large slices or 6 small slices at a time:
- Using tongs, dip slices of bread into egg mixture.
- Cook soaked slices over medium heat for a few minutes on each side. [Slices should be golden brown on both sides]
- Remove slices to parchment lined pan and keep warm in the oven until serving.
- Repeat until all slices are prepared.
This is a heavily revised version of my recipe from The Lunchbox Season.
Leave a Reply