A month ago, I defrosted what I thought was a leg of lamb for summer grilling, only to find two pounds of cubed stewing lamb shoulder. A quick trip to my local drugstore of all places (they have a mini-grocery now) and the liquor store beside it, led to a low-chop, low-carb, and keto-friendly stew that requires minimal time on the stove-top before its deep-dive in a low and slow oven. Can’t stop, won’t stop!
Lightning Raid Lamb Stew [Keto, Paleo, Low-Carb]
- 4-10 slices bacon, scissored into thin strips [nutrition information included for 10 slices]
- 2 tbsp Ghee, Coconut Oil, or Olive Oil [not EVOO] [Optional – Use in place of the rendered bacon fat]
- 2 lbs lamb shoulder, cubed
- 1 cup diced onion [1 onion]
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms [2 packages pre-sliced]
- 2 quarters preserved lemon, diced [optional, but amazing]
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 6 tbsp tomato paste [about 1 small tin]
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 cups low-salt beef broth [sugar-free and gluten-free, organic]
- 4 cups raw spinach leaves or chopped kale [1 package pre-cleaned works well]
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Bouquet Garni [bundle of fresh herbs tied with twine – optional]
- Heat oven to 325.
- In a large dutch oven, over medium-low heat on the stovetop, cook the bacon until just beginning to brown.
- Set the bacon aside, but leave all of the rendered fat in the pot.*
- [*If you do not want to cook the remainder of your ingredients in bacon fat, remove the oil from the pot and add the 2 tbs optional coconut oil, ghee, or higher-smoke point olive oil]
- Season the lamb with salt and pepper and brown [in batches, if necessary] in the pot.
- Set the lamb aside, but leave the rendered fat/oil in the pot.
- Cook the diced onions in the rendered fat/oil until just slightly browned.
- Add the garlic and brown for 30 seconds.
- Add the preserved lemons and stir to combine.
- Add the mushrooms and stir to combine.
- As mushrooms are beginning to heat up, add the tomato paste and 1/2 cup of wine, scraping up any browned bits in the bottom of the pot.
- Return the bacon and lamb to the pot, and add the optional Bouquet Garni.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of wine and stir to combine.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the broth and stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer on the stove.
- Season the stew to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover the dutch oven and place in the oven, cooking for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- Remove the stew from the oven and add the spinach or kale, stirring to wilt.
- If desired, heat the remaining 1/2 cup of broth and add to the stew, stirring to combine.
- If desired, add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Replace the lid and allow the stew to sit for 5-10 minutes, until the greens are thoroughly wilted.
- Enjoy! [This stew can be refrigerated for 5-6 days. It also freezes beautifully.]
277 Calories, 9.9g Fat, 3.6g Saturated Fat, 83mg Cholesterol, 360 Sodium [before salt added to taste], 573mg Potassium, 7.3g Total Carbs, 1.3g Fibre, 3.1g Sugars, 6g Net Carbs, 29g Protein.