In the run-up to my 2017 Advent Calendar, which starts December 1st, I’ve got 12 Days of Holiday Baking for you. Today’s recipe? Santa Babies!
I came up with this recipe for my family-famous Santa Baby Cookies when I was still an undergrad. I was hankering to revisit this cookie that I’d had in a coffee shop in California. It came from a glass jar labelled, “Taylor’s Mom’s Cookies,” and it was a kitchen sink cookie….certainly the best kitchen sink I’d ever tasted.
Years later, this recipe is still a huge hit in my book. Frankly, I think it should be in everybody’s wheelhouse! So, here goes!
- 1 c unsalted butter softened
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 c oats
- 1 1/2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 c toffee bits or 4 skor bars crushed
- 1/2 c flaked coconut [sweetened or unsweetened]
- 1/2 c chopped pecans [If you have nut allergies you can leave these out, and the recipe will be just as good.]
- Heat oven to 350.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix until creamy.
- Separately, mix flour, salt and baking soda.
- Add these dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Separately, mix chocolate chips, toffee bits, oatmeal, coconut and pecans.
- Add as many of these mixins to the cookie batter as you can, mixing first by machine, then, fully incorporating with a spatula. The dough will be very stiff and bursting with mixins.
- Drop 1-2 tbs of dough 2 inches apart on parchment or silpat-lined cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks.