More often than not, I’ll set aside pints of grape tomatoes in little brown bags and then open them up for salad, only to find they’re too wrinkly to serve without zhuzhing. Or, at least that’s my excuse to make this savoury small-batch grape tomato jam, which tastes excellent on a cracker with sharp cheese or on a piece of toast pre-schmeared with Boursin. How’s this for a vibrant Valentine’s Day treat?
Savoury Grape Tomato Jam [Small Batch]
- 1 pint Grape Tomatoes, halved
- 1/8 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/8 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/8 cup Water
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Salt
- Black Pepper to taste
- 3 Anchovies [optional]
- 1/4-1/2 Preserved Lemon, diced [optional]
- 1/2-1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes [optional]
- Place all of the ingredients except the Red Pepper Flakes into a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to a low simmer and cover, cooking for 10 minutes and stirring occasionally.
- Add the Red Pepper Flakes and stir to incorporate.
- Remove the garlic cloves and, using a press or a knife and cutting board, dice the garlic before returning it to the pot.
- Continue simmering, covered, for approximately 30 minutes, or until the jam is thick.
- Allow the jam to cool in the pot or in a mason jar before serving.
- To store, place in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 week.