With all the back-to-school-amidst-a-pandemic bonkers-ness, I decided that not only did I need more coffee, I needed a cookie on the side with coffee in AND on top of it. So, I altered my go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe to accommodate a double shot of espresso [or its powdered equivalent] and I swapped the chips for chunks. Since the kids aren’t eating at school, and all the braces are off, I added optional walnuts, for crunch. And I topped it all off with a coffee-flavoured glaze, because, well, ALL THE COFFEE in a pandemic. The kids liked the cookies as much as the adults. For a lover of coffee ice cream since the age of 5, this comes as no surprise! Enjoy!
Chocolate Chunk Espresso Cookies with Coffee Glaze
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 double shot of espresso OR 1 tbs instant espresso or coffee granules [dry]
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 package [200g] dark, semi-sweet, or milk chocolate chunks
- 1 cup chopped walnuts [OPTIONAL]
- 1 cup Icing Sugar
- 1 tsp instant espresso or coffee
- 1 tbsp water
- 1-3 tbsp milk or cream
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a mixer or by hand, beat butter and sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat until incorporated.
- Add the vanilla and the espresso shot [or powder] and stir until incorporated.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Add the chocolate chunks and optional chopped nuts.
- Cover dough and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Drop by the rounded tablespoonful onto [parchment-lined] pans.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes, or until just golden.
- Cool completely.
- In a small bowl, stir the water and instant espresso/coffee until the coffee is dissolved.
- In a medium bowl, add the coffee mixture to the icing sugar and stir until combined.
- By the teaspoonful, add milk or cream to the glaze mixture, until it is of drizzleable consistency.
- Drizzle the glaze over cooled cookies and allow to set.
Leave a Reply